Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Another school year gone...

Today was the last day of school... (technically Luke still has 2 more days but they are party days :)  I guess that makes me officially the mother of a 5th grader and a 1st grader. (AND the wife of an unemployed teacher, but that's a whole different blog for a different day)
Aren't they the cutest Koreans you've ever seen?

The minute she walked in the door this afternoon, Miss Ava announced that she is now a 5th grader. Apparently this is a big deal. In her 9 year life, this is a huge deal. Like, GINORMOUS! She's growing up. FIFTH GRADE. She wants to pick her own clothes and do her own hair and talk on the phone with her friends. She doesn't want to be my baby girl anymore. I'm not sure I'm ready. Not that that matters. I promised myself on the day that she was born that I would always allow her to be her own person. I would guide her and hopefully lead her through a beautiful path, but I would not hinder her from learning her own life's lessons. That was an easy promise to make back when she was a helpless little crying creature in her bassinet. I've never broken a promise. At least not knowingly... This might be the hardest promise I've ever had to keep.

Now Luke... he seems to care less that this school year has ended. It's like he doesn't even conceive that in August he will be in 1st grade in a brand new school. Nope. He's still my little boy. All I have to do is throw a football with him and I am the best mom ever. How easy is that? I wonder if that will still be all it takes for him to still think I'm awesome on his last day of 4th grade...

No comments: